One of our four core values at Topel Forman is excellence. We believe that you should be given the tools to create your own career path and receive support from your fellow teammates to succeed. This dedication extends from our interns to the partner level. The goal of our tax internship is to train junior level professionals to understand several different aspects of taxation and to provide a good foundation for future opportunities. For more information on Topel Forman, please visit our website at www.topelforman.com.
Our Winter 2023 Audit Interns will learn how to prepare audit work papers, audit programs, and financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Under the supervision of seniors, managers, and partners, interns will be trained to prepare individual tax returns, tax work paper documentation, and referencing. Our audit interns learn how to utilize various audit and tax software (i.e., Advance Flow, Go system, Go Fileroom, Checkpoint RS, etc.).
Why Work at TF?
You're not just another face in the crowd. The Partners and Managers know your name and care about you as a person. Starting with your first day you will be paired with a buddy, an audit associate who went through our program, who is your go-to person to help you navigate the firm throughout your entire internship. You are given continuous real-time feedback to ensure a successful internship experience.
Each intern has the same experience as a first-year associate, working on projects that are made up of real compliance work that directly benefits our clients and our firm.
Any intern that joins the firm full-time after their internship will have the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of areas. From here, you can navigate you personal career path based on your own interests. Start your career at Topel Forman today!
Our winter internship is a full-time internship during our April tax season beginning in January and concluding in Mid- April. Our winter internship is a full-time paid internship at a range of $25-$28 hour. There could be additional overtime through the course of your internship depending on workflow. We recommend no more than 1 or 2 classes during your internship to ensure both your success in the internship and your schoolwork does not suffer.
Essential Functions of the Internship
- Responsibility for auditing select areas of a client balance sheet and income statement
- Preparation of client assistance requests, and appropriate follow-up and evaluation
- Assist with or prepare financial statements and other related reports
- Apply the pronouncements of the Financial Accounting Standards Board and the AICPA
- Meet client deadlines for preparation of reports
- Understand and utilize TF’s audit methodology
- Regular client site travel
- Identify and communicate tax and accounting issues to senior associates, managers, and partners
- Demonstrating flexibility in prioritizing and completing tasks
- Proactively seeking guidance, clarification, and feedback
- Learn about the firm – get to know partners/managers, services provided, specialties of individuals, key clients, and industries served
- Build communication skills: practice business writing (clear memos, letters, and emails), working with clients, and feeling comfortable in business situations.
Required Education and Experience
Energetic, team-oriented applicants should be an Accounting major proficient in Microsoft Office applications. Attention to detail, the ability to multi-task and communicate effectively are all essential to this position.