Interning at Topel Forman
Our internship program is there to get younger professionals ready for the world of public accounting! We have current partners who started as interns, we have first year associates who interned with us just last year, and we can’t wait for you to be an intern!
Topel Forman Internships Provide Real, First-Hand Experience In Public Accounting
It is important to get real-world experience; how do you know what you want unless you try it out first? Our internship gives you the chance to experience what it is like to be an accountant.
- Have the same experiences as a first-year associate.
- Projects and assignments are real work that will directly benefit our clients.
- Gain various skill sets ranging from learning tax software
- Engage with interesting tax concepts across all types of tax situations.
- Interns are a part of the team that plays an integral role in completing client work.
Topel Forman has access to the resources of a large firm while maintaining the feel of a small firm and providing hands-on training. Topel Forman offers a collaborative team environment and strives to help all employees feel welcome.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
Through both hands-on experience and our various training, interns will have an opportunity to learn various technical concepts including those related to individual, trust, entity, and gift tax returns. During your internship, you will have the opportunity to work with all levels including senior managers and partners.
- Tax concepts
- Time management
- Balancing responsibilities
- Professional communication
- Asking questions effectively
The intern will learn what it is like to go through a busy season at a public accounting firm and gain experience in different industries and jobs.
The internship also offers the opportunity to develop soft skills in a professional setting by working with all levels of the firm.
- Effective communication
- How to engage with high-performing teams
- How to respond effectively to feedback
- Demonstrate growth
- Gain confidence in skills
A DAY IN THE LIFE
At Topel Forman, we treat all interns like any member of the team which provides a realistic idea of what it would look like to work here. A day for an intern is very similar to a first-year associate’s.
- Get assigned a project to work on
- Work independently and with a team
- Become trained on tax return preparation and prepare returns
- Return reviewed with feedback from a reviewer
Typical tasks include responding to e-mails, calls, and messages, managing/organizing different returns, preparing returns and communicating missing items or the status of the returns with managers and partners.
You will enjoy events with all employees of the firm including lunches, happy hours, events, and more!
Hear from Our Employees
I learned that I could do this type of job for my career. I learned a lot about the higher-level aspects of the returns that I was able to work on.
The internship program at Topel Forman is a trial run for the full-time job. Interns are treated as staff and get a full experience. Both the intern and TF can get a feel for working together.
Interns are treated as first-year staff and are encouraged to step outside of their comfort zones. Interns are teammates and are encouraged to [learn from] mistakes, focus intently on feedback, then apply those comments to the next assignment they are tasked with.
What Will I Gain?
“The ability of an intern to demonstrate the progression of skills through trial and error is the most rewarding part of the process.”